September 26, 2009 3 Comments
To start this build, I downloaded VirtualBox. I figured I wouldn’t use Linux as an OS too frequently; mostly just to build stuff for this course. So, I didn’t want to install it as a separate partition on my HD. It was mentioned in class that a build on Linux on a virtual machine was ten times faster than the build on a Windows non-virtual machine. I decided that this would be the perfect setup for me. So, I installed the virtual machine and put Fedora on it as the operating system. No major hiccups there.
I began the Mercurial Exercise and was able to finish that without any problems as well. I tried doing the Simple Firefox Build next. I came upon my first problem. It said the yum was being used by another application. I figured out that it was because I decided to update Fedora before I tried the build. So, my next move was to wait for the update to finish. At that point, I started this blog.
Next, the Firefox build begins.
sudo yum groupinstall 'Development Tools' 'Development Libraries' 'GNOME Software Development' sudo yum install mercurial autoconf213
Those first two commands gave promising results… as can be seen in the following screenshots.
Then, came grabbing the source and updating the Make and then using it…
hg clone http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/ cd mozilla-central echo '. $topsrcdir/browser/config/mozconfig' > mozconfig echo 'mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=@TOPSRCDIR@/objdir-ff-release' >> mozconfig echo 'mk_add_options MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS="-j4"' >> mozconfig make -f client.mk
At that point, I encountered a problem. It’s on the following photo:
I’ve even highlighted what I think the problem is… I’m going to leave this blog post up tonight and maybe I’ll have some helpful comments tomorrow when I pick this back up. If not, I’m going on a search!