0.7 release

I was a little hard-pressed for this week’s release.  Mainly because I thought the release to be next week.  I did have some stuff done before but I wasn’t in much of a rush to finish it, until I found out it was to be out this Monday morning.  I got in gear but still had much trouble with beginCamera() and endCamera().  The functions you see there seem pretty simple but having to use the inverse of camera threw me for a loop.  I had to look for the problem everywhere in the code.  At one point, I rewrote the whole invert function only to find out it was working properly.  Some key objects I was missing were dependent on deprecated functions.  At least, the code within the Processing native said they were to be removed from the future.  In that sense, my colleague decided it wasn’t needed in PJS.  I quite agree with him still.  It’s not completely needed, some of those inverse functions anyway.  I could and will probably recycle some of the regular functions and just apply the inverse.  I did add them all for now though.

That’s not all there is to it either.  As I was submitting an example through git, I found a bug that still currently resides with my checked-in code.  It may seem like it works properly, but insert a camera() function in there and the changes don’t take.  That is definitely a problem because suppose it’s put in a draw{} statement.  It wouldn’t have an anchor that can put it back to place… it’ll just continue to transform.  It’s somewhat of a big bug that I can’t finish tonight.  I’m leaving it up to the reviewers to pass or fail.  I doubt it’s going to pass… I’m not sure I would pass it either.

On a lighter note, I was able to finish the dist-3d days ago.  I was just so wrapped up with beginCamera() and endCamera() that I never wrote the tests for it.  I wrote my first unit tests earlier today and it was a breeze.  I’m definitely glad that was added to the PJS scope.  It definitely makes unit tests much easier.

Anyway, off to bed.  Maybe someone will have read this blog and figured out a way to help me with the camera.  Dave was right.  It was my fault for waiting til the last second to ask for help.  I’ll blog more soon… still have to get PGraphics off the ground.

Back to work

I’ve just finished reading week and it’s time to get back to work.  Getting back into the groove is always hard, including blogging again.  I realize it’s been a while since my last post and it was mostly due to midterms and hell week.  This is going to be a long post due to having to wrap up previous releases and talking about the upcoming 0.7 release.  I won’t make this intro too long so I’ll just get on with it…

0.5

In this release, we got 3D up and running!  It’s fairly old news but exciting nonetheless.  I’ve taken some of Corban‘s examples (which he was using to show if the functions were working or not) and put them on my matrix account.  This first demo was a test with translate and how it was working improperly when first put in (please note that you’d need a WebGL enabled browser to view 3D… like Mozilla’s Minefield).  It has been fixed and is currently working within that demo.

The picture above is a comparison of Processing and Processing.js.  It links to the other demo that previews the ortho() function is working as intended.  And by that, we mean it’s working exactly how Processing is doing it.

0.6

I didn’t do too much for the 0.6 release.  Like I said, I was a bit busy with midterms and assignments.  I did try to do what I could and pitch in where I could help.  I did more than half the peer reviews submitted.  I’m not going to list them all since there were so many… but almost all of them did end up getting checked-in so you can look through this list if you wish.

I did add one function, applyMatrix().  It wasn’t a tough one to add… it was mostly just a simple wrapper but I didn’t expect some of the complications I did have.  I ended up making a demo/example to make sure it worked properly.  More details about my problems can be found here.

0.7

For this upcoming release, I’m going to finish beginCamera() and endCamera().  So, we can have some 3D Camera movement.  I’ve already got an idea of how this can be implemented involving the modelView and cam matrices.  There maybe even some use of the 3d matrix stack that I’ve previously created.

I’ve also added two more items to put in for this release.  One is to implement a working dist for 3d.  This should be fairly simple by using an existing PVector.dist() function and wrapping that to work with this.  The second is an important function which I’ve yet to determine if it will be easy or hard.  Mainly due to my not having that much experience with this particular problem.  I’m going to implement the much needed PGraphic.  Now, this could be very elaborate or as simple as recalling the p object into a buffer.  I’m going to talk to Corban/F1LT3R/humph more about this particular function/object.  I’m not exactly sure on where to start either.  So, that would be some good advice to begin with.

Well enough chit-chat… that’s my update and it wasn’t as long as I thought it would be.  Now back to work…