Manually creating a PNG…

… pixel by pixel.

Like I’ve said before, most of the Processing.js team are shifting their main focus on different projects over the summer.  Some of the members are working on Popcorn.js, a Javascript video player library that uses the HTML5 video tag.  Andor Salga and I are working on imaging 3D point cloud data for Arius3D.  Andor already has a working prototype gallery for what we have to do with our point cloud data; his blog about it is located here.

I have been working on the non-3D spectrum of this work and trying to improve the load times for our prototype.  Well, that’s what I’m going to try and accomplish in the end anyway.  I’ve been looking for ways to solve this problem and the first method I decided to try was server side scripting using PHP.  While PHP isn’t a hard language to comprehend, I soon ran into problems concerning the use of the data I was reading from file.  The only reason I was using PHP was to try and read the file data to give to Javascript.  If trying to extract the data was this much of a hassle, there was no point in using it.

I moved on to just reading the file straight from text using XMLHttpRequest.  I had problems with putting setInterval and setTimeout methods within the code to try and run asynchronously.  The problem was that I didn’t need them!  After I removed them and just called the function on its own, I got the stream and conversion to work… but very slowly.  An example of the stream can be viewed below… be warned, though, it does take a number of seconds.

I was talking with notmasteryet, one of the audio wizards that came up with this hack of streaming byte data into a png for Text to Speech use within browsers, and he told me to use bit shifting instead of string conversions to plug the information into the png.  This would of course make the conversion MUCH faster.  However, something is wrong and not working as it should.  I’m writing this blog not due to accomplishment but more of a bookmark on what I may have to continue with later.  I’m moving on to dissect the PSI Reader given to us by Arius3D and trying to convert it to Javascript to be used for on the fly conversions.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: